Sunday, September 25, 2011

Week 5 Action Research Reflection

When I began this course the first week’s assignment included a question about identifying the differences between traditional and action research.  In my readings and video lectures I was able to discover that action research emphasizes a reflective approach since it allows for a collaborative process of inquiry and discussion. “Administrators’ engagement in inquiry is one vehicle for making reflection purposeful and visible” (Dana, 2009 P. 7).  Teachers are searching for ways to influence and change instruction to benefit student academic outcomes. There is a systematic way of approaching action research where there is a collection of data, observations, needs assessments, and documentation of inquiry and a conclusion. “It is necessary to understand that the need for inquiry is an essential component in order to establish a firm foundation for school improvement” (Harris, Edmonson, & Combs, 2010, p.5).  This course was not going to focus on the traditional research where we find information and write information without involving stakeholders in the process. I also created a blog to start including information for my action research.

As I continued with my course I listened to some leaders who provided us with topics of their action research and suggestions to keep in mind as we start working with ours through the course of our internship.  What was eye opening to me about their comments was to research on topics that we are interested in because maybe we can see what they did and/or how they approached that situation.  Something else that stuck with me is that regardless of where our action research takes us it can positively impact student performance. 

Then we had to come up with our own action research and come up with a plan.  The Tool 7.1 Action Planning Template (Harris, Edmonson, & Combs, 2010, p.85) provided me with a template to document my plan in writing.  This template was a good way for me to see the big idea and the entire plan in action.  This was also a great way to document my plan and explain it to my site supervisor. 

Another great insight that added to the development of my action research were strategies for sustaining improvement. Harris stated, “Learning communities use several strategies for sustaining improvement while at the same time looking futuristically to prepare for the future ((Harris, Edmonson, & Combs, 2010, p.94). The strategies have helped me look at all the different aspects of looking at my action research and to continue during the process of my inquiry.

Finally, the comments made in my blog by my colleagues, discussion board, and web conferences had given me valuable information about my action research.  The professor has been a great leader in helping with our research.  Everyone’s feedback has helped me narrow my action research and start my journey with my research.





References

Dana, N. (2009). Leading with Passion and Knowledge. California: Corwin.

Harris, S., Edmonson, E., & Combs, J. (2010) Examining what we do to improve our schools: 8 Steps From Analysis to Action. New York: Eye on Education




No comments:

Post a Comment